Music is life. And we have to admit that our lives wouldn’t be the same without it. In fact, even the kids can’t imagine life without that sweet harmony to their ears. Be it for playing computer games, listening to audio books, enjoying music on phones, or watching movies on tablets, headphones are those very critical gadgets that help your kids get the most out of their leisure activities. But we all know that giving your kids those adult-type headphones are not healthy. These standard headphones usually reach an ear smashing volume of 100 to 115 decibels. And exposing your children with such volume for just a few minutes a day can result in hearing loss.
Why you should buy kids headphones
As mentioned above, adult headphones are potentially dangerous for your kids to use. Without consistent parental or guardian supervision, your children could get themselves exposed to typical adult headphone max volume often set at 115 decibels – way beyond the 85-decibel safe zone. Basically, commercially produced children headphones are equipped with volume restrictors that strictly keep these gadgets’ max volume below 100 dB. Children headphones are also less expensive compared to most of their adult counterparts. Furthermore, most adult headphones are not adjustable enough to provide a snug and cozy fit on children’s small tender ears and heads.
Therefore, it is essential to secure your children with kids’ headphones that can let them enjoy their multimedia gadgets to their hearts’ content without damaging their tender ears. We have scoured through the online market for the 10 best kids headphones and help parents provide the best for their precious angels. We weigh in volume limiting capabilities, their designs, customer reviews, battery life, comfort, and other child-friendly features. So here are our top picks for the best kids headphones of 2017:
Best Headphones For Your Kids – 2017 Buyer’s Guide
Our Reviews Of The Best Power Inverters Currently On The Market
|Brand||Model Name||Wireless?||Battery Life|
|LilGadgets||Untangled Pro||Yes||12 Hours||Check Price On Amazon|
|Olio||n/a||Yes||12 Hours||Check Price On Amazon|
|Sony||Mdr-222Kd/Pin||No||n/a||Check Price On Amazon|
|onanoff||BuddyPhones||No||n/a||Check Price On Amazon|
|Ailihen||I35 Stereo||No||n/a||Check Price On Amazon|
|Sodee||Bluetooth Volume Limiting||Yes||8 Hours||Check Price On Amazon|
|iClever||Kids Headphones for School||No||n/a||Check Price On Amazon|
|MEE Audio||KidJamz KJ25||No||n/a||Check Price On Amazon|
|Gorsun||n/a||No||n/a||Check Price On Amazon|
|Kidz Gear||n/a||No||n/a||Check Price On Amazon|
1.) LilGadgets Untangled Pro Premium Children’s Wireless Bluetooth Headphones with Shareport
LilGadgets is one of the most popular and most trusted makers of kids’ headphones. Its Untangled Pro series has won a long line of awards including those coming from Academics Choice, Moms Choice Award, National Parenting Center, Tillywig, and Teachers Choice Award.
- This headphone has a Bluetooth connection feature which means that it can efficiently connect to all types of gadgets with Bluetooth capabilities without the need for those messy and accident prone wires. Supports HFP (Hands-Free Profile), HSP (Headset Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile), and A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) with an awesome 30 feet range.
- Comes with a SharePort Technology making it easy for other headphones to plug, connect, and share ultimate audio enjoyment. This feature comes handy if you have at least two children at home.
- Equipped with a Volume Restrictor for maximum volume set at 93 decibels.
- High quality audio with its 40mm drivers with a range of 20Hz to 20kHz
- Soft comfortable padding on the ear pads and headband with breathable mesh linings for cozy snug fit.
- 10 to 12 hour battery life on consistent active use and can last up to hours on standby.
- Customers can choose from four different bright and eye friendly color choices.
- Has a USB charging cable paired with a 3.5 mm cable for wired listening option.
- Adjustable ear pads to deliver a comfortable and secured fit on various head sizes.
- All functionality buttons and ports like volume control, power button, and USB charging port are housed in one ear for ease of use.
- Price: $49.95 matched with 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Pause/Play, Volume Control, and Change Track functions are all accommodated in one control button. This simply means that your child first needs to master a variety of specific motions to gain full control of the device. (Volume Control – press, hold, slide up/down ; Change Track – slide up/down ; Pause/Play – press and hold)
2.) Olio Wireless Bluetooth Headphones for Kids
Another kids and parents favorite is the Olio Wireless Bluetooth Wireless Headphone. Its overall design is taken out of the minds and ideas of actual parents. So if you are looking for a headphone that your kid will surely love, Olio Wireless Kids Headphone is a definite must have.
- Made of polycarbonate stainless steel for durability that can withstand childish torture of your precious angel.
- Super lightweight with comfortable breathable mesh padding along the ear pads and head band that takes tender care of your child’s small soft ears.
- Say goodbye to those annoying cords through its Bluetooth 4.0 that offers fast and clear wireless connection with a 30 feet range.
- Can be shared with the whole family or friends through the help of its port-sharing technology.
- Delivers crisp audio output thanks to its 40 mm drivers.
- Can be used for children ages 2-11.
- Equipped with volume control feature setting its peak audio output at a safe 93 decibels.
- Also comes with 3.55 mm audio cable for wired listening as well as inline microphone.
- Price: $41.99
So far, Olio Wireless Bluetooth Headphones for Kids scores a perfect satisfaction rating from its customers so there’s definitely no reason to worry about the product.
3.) Sony MDR 222-KD Children’s Headphones
Made by one of the most renowned names in the electronics industry, the MDR-222KD Children’s Headphone is a reliable gadget to help your kids enjoy superior audio entertainment that is safe to their tender young ears. The Sony MDR 222-KD Kids Headset lets your child enjoy crisp crystal clear music safely as you bask into the relaxing tranquility of serene calmness.
- Keeps your children’s ears in relaxing comfort throughout every wear through its foam padded ear pads.
- Compact design and lightweight so your kid will never have trouble tucking it away and doesn’t feel heavy on the head. Use it like it isn’t there.
- Comes with volume limiting resistor cable to keep children’s sensitive ears safe as they enjoy their favorite movies, songs, or games to their hearts’ content.
- Easy adjustable headband to accommodate children of different age groups.
- Ideal headphones for prolonged use or long trips ahead.
- Price: $14.10
Although the the Sony MDR 222-KD is meant to be a children’s headphone, its design and size is meant for children 8 years of age and up. It sometimes tends to eliminate bass.
4.) OnAnOff Kids Headphones – BuddyPhones
OnAnOff’s BuddyPhones is designed and developed to provide an ultimate solution to parents searching for a reliable gadget that they can count on for functionality, safety, durability, and comfort particularly on long road, sea, and air travels. Made of top quality materials, the headphone is a perfect blend of robustness and flexibility.
- Comes with three different sound level settings applicable for various environments. (e.g. 75db, 85 db, and 94 db flight mode max)
- Cushioned ear pads with anti-allergy formula to help keep those young and fragile ears safe and comfortable throughout every wear.
- Comes equipped with InLine microphone and answering button for more effective interaction with other headphone users.
- Teach your child to share his/her favorite music or video with a sibling or a friend through the headphone’s BuddyCable port.
- Headband is composed of polypropelene material to deliver its super durable flexibility.
- Compact design and foldable handles for extreme portability. Great for travels and long trips for they can be easily cramped into small bags or even jam packed luggage without sustaining significant damage to the hardware.
- Hassle-free adjustment to easily accommodate different head sizes of children in a single product.
- Detachable cable to eliminate entanglement risks upon safekeeping.
- Package comes with a travel bag and airline adapter.
BuddyPhones are wired headphones and does not have this Bluetooth connection feature which is commonly present among most modern kids’ headphones. The product may have a 94 db setting for inflight travels but some customers find it to be less effective under such situations.
5.) Ailihen 135 Stereo Lightweight Foldable Headphones
Ailihen 135 Stereo Headphone is designed to be highly compatible to a wide variety of modern electronic gadgets like smartphones, laptops, iPhones, and tablets. The headset comes with an adorable design and shape that will match perfectly with your precious little angel.
- Ergonomic design helps your child’s soft small hands to effortlessly handle the device even on the go.
- Folding ear pads make more compact for easier safekeeping. Tuck it away in your small bag or inside your already full luggage without any problem at all.
- Comes equipped with Protein Genuine Leather Earmuffs that effectively eliminates surrounding noise while delivering a relaxing comfort to the child’s ears. Great for long hours of use.
- Geared with a microphone that has 360 degree pickup capability. Such feature is useful if connected to smartphones, tablets, and laptops for video/voice calls.
- Reliable durability from headset housing down to its cord. The headphone can effectively withstand hardware abuses and mishaps for lasting enjoyment.
- Has a driver diameter of 40mm so you or your child is sure to enjoy perfect audio clarity in every use.
Ailihen 135 Stereo Headphone has a 1.5 meter cord for wired listening. Compared to its wireless counterparts, you may find it annoying or discomforting trying to tuck away the cord in every use.
6.) Sodee Wireless/Wired Over the Ear HD Headset
What better way to put a smile of your child than to surprise him/her with a headphone for his tablet that can be both wired and wireless at the same time? Sodee’s Overear HD Headset is a versatile device that can be used by both children and adults.
- Foldable ear pads for easy storage. Tuck away your headset wherever you go with less space needed in your luggage.
- Comes with a detachable 3.5mm audio cable that can be used for wired listening.
- Geared with an inline microphone for clear voice calls.
- Has two different types of volume limiting features: one for children which is set at 93 decibels max and the other for adults which has a peak of 108 decibels.
- Cushioned ear pads and headband with soft leatherette foam for snug fit in every use.
- Can be plugged into a full spectrum of portable players through its 3.5mm jack and supports Micro SD card, handsfree calling, FM radio, and remote control.
- The headphone has a Bluetooth 4.0 for wireless connection without affecting the quality of its audio output.
- 40mm speaker dimension for superb sound quality.
In some cases, a product’s feature can be its downside. The headphone’s microphone is too effective that it sometimes picks up unnecessary noise from the surroundings. Its Bluetooth function sometimes doesn’t work as expected according to some users.
7.) iClever BoostCare Wired Over the Ear Kids Headphones
As the name of the brand implies, the BoostCare Wired Headphone is adorned with a cleverly thought design – dragon wings along the head band. But aside from a sleek design that every child will surely love, it packs a long line of features that most parents are looking for.
- Although it’s a wired headphone, its cord is developed with tangle free technology for hassle free use all the time.
- Ideal for outdoor use and long trips like out of town car rides, cruise ship adventures, and plane escapades.
- Developed with volume control technology with max volume set at 85 decibels. Its child ear friendly circuitry is built so that parents will never have to worry in case their children will accidentally tap its volume settings at maximum.
- Covered with soft paddings for soft and gentle texture against your child’s young tender skin.
- Designed to provide comfortably snug fit for children ages 3 and up.
- Bendable headband for ease of use and outstanding durability that lasts.
- Developed with universal compatibility so that parents and children will get the most out of it in every purchase. Can be used on iPhones and other smartphone brands, laptops, tablets, iPods, and other portable players.
- 30mm driver diameter for crisp audio quality
Wired headset and doesn’t come with a Bluetooth connection feature. The headset may not be able to deliver audible sound output under extremely noisy environments.
8.) MEE Audio KidJamz KJ25 Safe Listening Headphone
This amazing headphone carries the MEE signature sound and delivers crisp and relaxing audio output safely towards your child’s tender young ears.
- KidJamz KJ25 Safe Listening Headphone is super flexible but never breaks thanks to its durable construction feature. Paired with tangle resistant cables and reinforced connectors, then your child is off to unlimited audio pleasure.
- Designed with universal compatibility so that your child can use it on smartphones, tablets, laptops, and other portable players.
- Safe Listening technology that takes extra care of your child’s fragile ears of just up to 85 decibels maximum volume setting.
- Comes with a concealed switch providing the parents with the liberty of disabling the device’s volume restriction feature under extremely noisy environments.
- 5 mm headphone jack for almost all types of electrical devices.
- Crafted from hypoallergenic materials protecting your child’s young and sensitive skin from harmful chemicals.
- Designed to deliver snug fit comfort for children of ages 4 to 12.
KidJamz KJ25 is a wired type headset which means that it is not equipped with Bluetooth connection feature for great functionality.
Gorsun Stylish Headphone is developed to deliver ultimate audio entertainment like no other. This awesome is developed for both adult and child user.
- Gorsun Stylish Headphone is more than capable of delivering crisp 3D sound matched with impeccable and heart thumbing bass.
- The headband is super stretchable and flexible, bending to comfortably accommodate various head sizes.
- Ear pads are covered with sweat proof technology which means that your child can enjoy his/her headphone for an entire day without sweating a single drop.
- Soft cushioned ear pads to make sure that your child’s ears won’t feel any sore after an entire day of use.
- Comes with a microphone on cable for crystal clear voice calls.
- Volume control to take care of those young tender ears.
- Collapsible ear pads for that amazing portability. Headphone collapses to compact size for easy safekeeping that doesn’t take too much space in your luggage.
- Headphone provides an amazing audio experience. With Gorsun Stylish Headphone, your child will definitely become a music enthusiast in no time.
There’s really nothing wrong with this headset except for the fact that is a wired type. If your child is quite active, this may not be an ideal headset for him/her. Other than that, the device is an excellent headphone.
A popular name in the industry Kidz Gear has produced a long line of top quality headphones for children. Kidz Gear Wired Headphones offer amazing functionality topped with robust design and a twist of comfort.
- Made of the same construction grade materials used on their adult counterparts, these wired headphones offer lasting durability even on the nastiest kids.
- Universal compatibility so that it works on all types of electronic portables. Use it on your phone, tablet, laptop, and other devices.
- Designed and developed to deliver secured and comfortable fit to children 2 years and up.
- Volume Limit technology to keep your children’s ears in the safe zone.
- Durable but super flexible headband to withstand nasty kid torture and accommodate various head sizes.
- Adjustable headband for multiple users in one gadget.
- Cushioned ear pads to keep your child’s ears comfortable in every use.
- Price: $16.99
Kidz Gear Wired Headphone can be quite a bulky gadget and its cord can be quite an annoying component especially to an active child.
Other Important factors to consider
There can be a long line of potentially impressive headphones out there specially built for young tender ears. And this fact renders a dilemma among parents when it comes to choosing the right headset for their precious angels. So here are some important factors to consider before making that critical decision:
- Volume restrictor capability – This is a definite must have to protect your child’s ears from overexposure to damaging noise.
- Durability – Children have a high tendency to break things and that is a fact. Therefore, it is important to secure a headset that can withstand your child’ torture.
- Compatibility – Your child’s headset must be able to connect with a variety of devices to make sure that you get the most out of your purchase.
- Comfort – Your child’s ears are unarguably fragile and extra sensitive compared to adults. Padded or cushioned ear pads and headbands can help protect your child from getting ear sores due to prolonged use of the gadget.
- Price – Quality comes with a price. Never sacrifice good product quality and functionality in exchange for a cheaper alternative.
Why limiting volume is a critical feature
The main difference between adult headphones from children headsets is that the former does not come equipped with volume restrictor features. Average maximum volume of adult devices can reach to an ear shattering decibels. Based on recent studies, making your children listen to music with more than a hundred decibel volume at only 15 minutes a day can inevitably lead to hearing loss. Most children in their young and curious age tend to accidentally push up a headset’s volume without the parent’s knowledge. With a volume restrictor, such an unhealthy situation can be refrained.
According to auditory health experts, our natural human ear is not designed to accommodate sounds measuring above 70 decibels most of the time. The safe zone however is proven to be at 85 decibels which explains why most children headphones are equipped with volume restrictors set at 85 decibels max volume. But then again, it is still not safe to expose your child’s young and fragile ears to 85 decibels in a prolonged period of time. Besides, there’s no need to consistently set your child’s headphone volume at max in order for him/her to enjoy genuine audio entertainment. An 85(sometimes 93-94db) max volume setting is made available only for extremely noisy environments. Volume restriction technology helps protect your child’s sensitive ears while letting them enjoy pleasant and ear friendly audio entertainment at the same time.